Thursday, April 30, 2020

Southwestern Energy Might Have Difficulty With One Of Its Debt Covenants At The End Of The Year

In my two most recent articles, I described how anyone considering an oil and gas investment right now must answer two questions:
  1. Is it cheap?
  2. Is it likely to survive the current downturn, especially without diluting investors?
In an earlier article, I answered the first question for Southwestern Energy (SWN). I described how the company looks cheap when you compare its enterprise value to the value of its underground oil and natural gas reserves.

In my last article, I began answering the second question for Southwestern. I looked at how the company’s hedging contracts might affect its estimated 2020 revenues. By estimating the company’s revenues for this year, we can see if the company will earn enough to service its debts.

There are two areas of concern here:
  1. Will the company have enough earnings to cover its interest expenses?
  2. Will the company have enough earnings to meet its debt covenants?
If Southwestern can answer “yes” to both questions, it is likely to survive the current downturn, at least through the end of 2020. If the answer to either question is “no,” the company’s survival will be in the hands of its creditors. (Read More)

No comments:

Post a Comment