Monday, April 20, 2020

Occidental Petroleum Is Even More Expensive Relative To Its Reserves Than I First Thought

For my 30th Seeking Alpha article, I revisit Occidental Petroleum by taking another look at the company's valuation relative to its reserves:

In my recent article “Occidental Petroleum is Surprisingly Expensive Relative to Its Reserves,” I compared the company’s enterprise value to the value of its underground oil and natural gas reserves. I then made the same comparison for several other large oil companies. Even though Occidental Petroleum (OXY) is much riskier than those companies due to its high debt levels, its enterprise value to reserve value ratio was not much cheaper.

In calculating Occidental’s enterprise value in that article, I left out Occidental’s roughly 10 billion dollars in preferred stock. Warren Buffett (BRK.A) (BRK.B) bought this stock to help finance Occidental’s August 2019 acquisition of Anadarko Petroleum, and I only noticed my omission while writing my follow-up article “
A Valuation of Occidental Petroleum Based On Its Three Sources of Value.”

Fortunately, including that preferred stock in the calculation doesn’t weaken my original thesis. It actually makes it stronger. My original thesis was that the company's enterprise value to reserve value ratio was surprisingly high, and now it's even higher. This article will look at that revised EV/Reserves ratio and compare it to the EV/Reserves ratios of some other integrated oil companies, taking into account the various companies’ share price changes in the past three weeks. In doing so, we will see how expensive Occidental Petroleum is now compared to those other companies. (Read More)

No comments:

Post a Comment