Wednesday, May 13, 2020

How Much Value Has Ladder Capital Created For Shareholders Since Its IPO?

One of my favorite investment bloggers, Clark Street Value, recently wrote about mortgage real estate investment trust (mREIT) Ladder Capital (LADR). Ladder mainly invests in commercial mortgage backed securities (CMBS), or pools of mortgage loans to businesses.

The post described how Ladder is well positioned to survive the current downturn due to its high quality assets and use of unsecured debt to fund those assets. It provided much information about both topics; I encourage interested readers to read it.

As an investor, though, I am not just interested in how well a company might survive the current downturn. I am also interested in the long term value the company can generate for me if I invest.

This is especially important since downturns offer two common types of opportunities for investors:
  1.  High quality companies trading at a modest discount from normal prices.
  2.  More average companies trading at a much larger discount to their intrinsic value.
In the long run, high quality companies compound an investor’s capital far more than average ones. This is true even if those average companies are purchased at much cheaper valuations.

In that context, after reading Clark Street Value’s post, I was curious which type of company Ladder Capital is. Is it a high quality company I can “buy and hold” forever while it compounds my investment? (Read More)

No comments:

Post a Comment